2023-2024 Official University Academic Catalog 
    Jul 17, 2024  
2023-2024 Official University Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Record Information

Name Change

LeTourneau University maintains educational records of current and former students under the student’s full, legal name at the most recent date of enrollment. A student’s legal name is the name that appears on the Social Security card or international visa. Official documents and transcripts will be issued only under this name.


The Office of the Registrar will only update the name on student records after presentation of the Social Security card bearing the new name. Current students may change the name on their permanent academic record by presenting a signed request and Social Security card bearing the updated name to the Office of the Registrar. Former students who return to the University under a different name will be required to present their Social Security card so that their records will be updated to their legal name.


Privacy of Student Records


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records:


  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Office of the Registrar or the head of the academic department written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official will advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why the record is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of the right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosures without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing approved University tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill a professional responsibility.
  • The right to withhold disclosure of directory information. Directory information includes: student’s name, address, telephone listing, email address, photograph, major, dates of attendance, grade level, enrollment status, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, physical factors (height and/or weight of athletes), degrees, honors, and awards received. Enrolled students may withhold disclosure of directory information under FERPA of 1974. To withhold disclosures, written notification must be received by the Office of the Registrar by September 15 of the fall semester. Forms requesting the withholding of directory information are available in the Office of the Registrar. LeTourneau University assumes that no written notification made on the part of the student to specifically request the withholding of categories for directory information indicates individual approval for disclosure.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by LeTourneau University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Additional information about LETU’s policy with respect to the privacy of student records may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.



Transcripts provide a record of grades and GPA for all coursework at LETU. Other credit applied toward a degree awarded by the University will also appear on transcripts.

Ordering Transcripts and Other Records

LETU reserves the right to deny transcripts or copies of records if the student has an unpaid financial obligation to the University. In order to request a transcript, a student must log into MyLETU and click on Order Transcript. Payment is due at the time of the order. Transcript requests are processed in the order received. If there is an outstanding balance on the student’s account that must be cleared before a transcript can be sent.

Test scores and transcripts of credits earned in high school or at other colleges are not available for distribution by LETU.

All official and unofficial transcripts-faxed, emailed, or sent directly to the recipient-have a minimum $10.00 charge. Fees for copying other records will be no more than 25 cents per page. If needed, a transcript can be expedited. There is an additional charge for expedited transcripts. See the online ordering system for specific charges.